Friday, March 23, 2007

My Psalm

The fifth day of our first retreat for School of the Spirit (SOS) had finally arrived. We were going home that afternoon. I felt full spiritually and a bit weary and more than ready for my home.

The teacher that morning spoke about the psalms. Ah, a nice lesson for our last day when our minds were tired and our souls ached for home! Then she gave us an assignment - read a psalm then write our impressions or make up a psalm. I wanted to shout, “Write a psalm? Just let us sit quietly and listen. My mind has become mush!”

But I dutifully picked up my journal and headed to a comfy chair. I read a couple of psalms and just began to write. There was no plan to this, I just let whatever came to mind flow out through my pen. My husband (whose opinion is prejudiced) said it was really good and that I should put it in a blog. So negative comments should go to “Ear of the Soul.” :)

Ceal’s Psalm One
As a child I trusted you, God.
You were my comfort and joy.
You kept away my fears of life and death,
You were there when others failed to comfort me,
You were there in my joy.
Oh, why did You abandon me
during my darkest hours?
Where did You hide when my
soul sank to dark depths?
When I went far away from You
I could not feel your knocking at my door.
For years I yearned to again feel Your touch.
But you did not exist in the
emptiness of my soul.
But your grace found a way to enter
though the chinks of my armor.
Thanks to God for sending one who did
help to open a window into my soul,
For I did finally feel you knocking
but had lost the key to the door of my heart.
Praise to You, God,
for your persistence and love,
Praise for accepting me as I am
and waiting for me with open arms.
I run into those arms
and feel great joy.

3 comments:

Mark Wutka said...

Ceal writes a new psalm
Poetry in the Spirit
What comes next? Haikus?

Liz Opp said...

This is oh so tender, Ceal.

Though I trust dear Mark's intentions in encouraging you to put this psalm on To Know Stillness, I would still encourage you to listen for God's prompt in addition to Mark's. wink

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

RichardM said...

Ceal,

I know this wasn't primarily meant as a literary exercise but I was impressed by your talent. I thought your psalm actually picked up some of the rhythms of the real ones--quite a feat actually since Hebrew poetry relies on such different conventions than English poetry.